Thursday, November 08, 2012

Dr. Martens Phina - Finally, sexy, wide calf leather boots!

Dr. Martens Phina
I just got these Dr. Martens Phina boots & wore them today for the first time. I totally adore them! SQUEEE!!  :D

I wear a women's size 10 in all my shoes (and i generally like a medium to wide width for that extra comfy wiggle room.) I purchased the UK8/US10 & it fit perfectly. If I had gone down a size (as reviews on Zappos suggest) I would not even be able to get these on. They are snug with socks (thin socks.)

My calf is about 18.5" so I was worried these may not work, but was hopeful as I read elsewhere that they'd fit up to about a 19" calf. They absolutely DO FIT!

The leather is so soft & pliable, that they have just enough stretch to fit comfortably. I am also on the 2nd to last hole on the buckle, so I could loosen them up a bit more if I needed to. Perhaps over jeans they may need a bit more space, but I was able to fit my entire hand down between the shaft & my leg, so I know this leather has a lot of give to it. And since it's such lovely leather, i think they will loosen up a bit more with regular wear.

One thought I had, if they didn't quite fit, was looking into leather buckle/strap extenders (they sell these for men's kilts, for example), to give just a tad bit more room (like 1/2" maybe.) Not sure how that would look (you would have to consider the width, texture & color matching up enough, etc.), but i would absolutely have considered it since I LOVE the way these books look!!

When i was first putting these on, I unzipped one & undid all the buckles. I put it on, zipped it up & then tried to fasten the buckles around my calf. This did not work so well & I thought for sure the boots would not even buckle around my calf - it just seemed like the straps were not long enough.

The second boot I left buckled & just used the zipper - they zipped right up fine. So, if you are having some issues getting the buckles to fasten, I'd suggest fastening them in the last hole or 2nd to last hole before you even put them on. The leather stretches enough to let you zip them right up.

They do pucker a bit around the ankle, sort of like the leather is slouching down. But I think that's kind of how they are supposed to be. These aren't really for that smooth, sleek look. They just have a more rugged, bad-ass, kick-some-teeth-in look :)

All in all, for the price I am sooo pleased. They are way more comfortable & roomy than most other boots of similar cost. And they don't look or feel like cheap crappy leather, like most of the other $200 boots I've tried do.

They rub a bit on the heel, and feel a little tight across the top of the foot, but this will all break-in in time & they will probably be one of my favorite pairs of boots.

Buy them here:
http://www.zappos.com/dr-martens-phina

No comments: